Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pre-School

I've been so busy to write an update on pre-term and orientation, so thought I would combine them into one, since school starts tomorrow.

Its been a busy couple of weeks -- still trying to get settled into my apartment (it is taking awhile since I take a break every time I put one item away, not sure that strategy will work when classes start). Pre-term was good, it was helpful to get back into the swing of doing math and paying attention to power-points. There was a lot to do in the evenings too -- a couple bbq's, beacon hill pub, and, of course, a night or two to recuperate from the rest of the week ...

Orientation was even crazier -- we had 4 packed days, plus social stuff every night. We met our cohort and core team -- I am part of the Indian ocean (cohort) and the Penguins (core team). My team is 60% from outside the US and 40% from my apartment (my roommate is also in my core team). The schedule was pretty much what I expected -- a practice case discussion, sessions on career development, and time to meet our core team.

One of the days we left the city for some team-building activities. Our team rocked at the raft-building challenge (we do have the navy seal), and I managed to make it up to the top of the ladder challenge (thanks to the two people who pulled me up each level). We spent an entire afternoon playing the Beer Game. My team, which included the founder/owner of the Stumbling Sloanie (our class's official microbrew), managed to come in last place in managing our beer production cost (guess he isn't quite ready for major distribution yet). But the point of the game was that it was nobody's fault, because humans are just messed up and can't help it. Luckily I missed that depressing part of the lecture.

Yesterday, I participated in an all-day learn-to-sail class. Now I can come back at any time and sail for free. I paired up with another MIT student and we managed to sail for about an hour and a half without capsizing. He was a little more ambitious then me, I kept yelling "let go of the rope" everytime the boat even started to tip, but it ended up being a bit more fun when we didn't go as slow as we did when I was holding the rope.

Just one more day before classes start, although we already have homework due tomorrow ...

View more pictures of my ocean at orientation, or check out all of the orientation pics at jwmarcus's website.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. I am glad you are getting to have some fun before all the hard work starts.